See the World Clearly: Understand the Features of Eyeglass Lenses.
Welcome to the Van’s Eyecare blog! Today, we’re diving into the world of eyeglass lenses. Whether you’re a first-time glasses wearer or a seasoned veteran, understanding the various features available can significantly enhance your visual experience.
At Van’s, we offer consultations with Doctor Kenneth Van Amerongen, optometrist, Steve Guild, and Anna Allison, opticians, to determine which lens features are best suited to your individual needs.
Let’s explore the lenses!
Average Lens Features:
- Single Vision Lenses: Perfect for correcting astigmatism as well as near and farsightedness. They have the same prescription power across the entire lens.
- Polycarbonate Lenses: Lightweight and impact-resistant, ideal for everyday wear, and suitable for children and active adults.
- UV Protection: A standard feature that shields your eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays.
Top-of-the-Line Lens Features:
- Progressive Lenses: These multifocal lenses offer a seamless transition between different prescription strengths, ideal for presbyopia.
- Anti-Reflective Coating: Enhances clarity and reduces glare, especially beneficial for night driving and computer use.
- Blue Light Filtering: Protects your eyes from blue light emitted by digital screens, potentially improving sleep quality and reducing eye strain.
- High-Index Lenses: Thinner and lighter than standard lenses, they are perfect for strong prescriptions, ensuring comfort and style.
Essential Lens Features:
- Scratch-Resistant Coating: Prolongs the life of your lenses and maintains clear vision.
- Photochromic Lenses: Also known as transition lenses, they darken in response to sunlight, offering convenience and UV protection.
- Prescription Accuracy: Ensuring your prescription is up-to-date and accurately incorporated into your lenses is vital for optimal vision.
At Van’s Eyecare, we’re committed to helping you find the perfect lens features to suit your lifestyle and visual needs. When you visit your Loveland Optician at Van’s Eyecare, know your goals for wearing glasses. Whether you need glasses for reading, driving, or just enjoying the beauty of Loveland, Colorado, we have the expertise and options to enhance your vision.
Remember, personal consultation is the key. Our team is here to guide you through the choices and ensure your glasses are comfortable, stylish, and functional.
Visit us at Van’s Eyecare to explore the world of clear and comfortable vision!
Here is how one man selected his lens features.
Offered in response to a question on the Quora forum:
What are some good features to have in eyeglass lenses?
“I have worn spectacles since my early teens because of myopia (nearsightedness). I am now 71 years young. Belatedly, over the last 10 years or so, I have graduated to Progressive Lenses. They are an improvement on Bifocals which looked like there were two lenses joined together, the top for distant vision, the bottom for close vision as in reading. Progressives, as the name suggests, offer a seamless adjustment from top to bottom, that is, from far to close vision. They are very good.
My specs are also Transitionals, which means they adjust their dimness according to the brightness of the light they experience. They are sophisticated sunglasses built into my lenses. And finally, there is an Anti-Glare Coating, particularly useful when driving at night.
My spectacles are lightweight and tough with a Titanium Frame and Polycarbonate Lenses and therefore are comfortable and durable.
May I just add, that it makes sense to keep everything clean by washing your specs every day? I use liquid soap and warm water, then rinse and towel dry. DONE.
I hope this helps.”